Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Greetings from the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque – Part 2




The Fiesta began in the early '70's, and Clara and I were there a couple times in the mid '80's when we were living here. It was, of course, a lot smaller in those days – there were a few RV's around then, perhaps a couple hundred, whereas at this Fiesta there were approximately a couple thousand. At this Fiesta, there were around 550 balloons registered, with some 600 pilots on the official rolls, whereas there were at most a couple hundred in the beginning. Picture #1 shows our little RV lost between two behemoths, #2 shows the row of RV's across from our site, #3 shows another row along the border of the landing field right behind our spot.

When I went over to the launch field on Saturday, I took along my lawn chair and sat down near the field. There was another couple nearby and we struck up a conversation. There are many thousands of people in attendance here, undoubtedly representing all of the 50 states, yet the couple that I by chance sat next to came from Kenmore, WA – no more than about 15 miles from my home!! Go figure!

No comments: