Sunday, October 28, 2007

When Pigs Fly






Last Thursday was a day of rest, recuperation and laundry . . .

So Friday was travel day as we set off to see my cousins in Ohio, having changed our itinerary to Ohio, then North Carolina rather than the original reversed order.

Part of what we were doing was attempting to escape the rain that blanketed the East yesterday, today, tomorrow, the next day . . .

Just before reaching Cumberland, MD we stopped at a visitors' info spot and, among many other things, asked for a lunch recommendation in Cumberland. The staff was unanimous so we set off for "When Pigs Fly" to continue our "Food Tourism" adventure – WPF specializes in pulled-pork-barbecue. Clara had the expected barbecue sandwich (very good) but I opted for the totally unexpected "Garden Salad with Pulled-Pork Barbecue."

It's not an overstatement to say that I was totally unprepared for "Garden Salad with Pulled-Pork Barbecue" – such a dish had never occurred to me – salad and barbecue do not seem to me to belong in the same meal, let alone on the same plate, so I had to try it. To be frank, it was not really all that good – either by itself was very good – but I'll stand by my original thought – salad and barbecue do not
belong on the same plate – however the pictures of the pigs in the restaurant were delightful!

We stopped Friday evening in a very lovely setting at Coopers Rock State Forest just short of Morgantown, West Virginia.

No comments: